The Wedding

Our Danish Irish wedding, where we will try to mix the traditions of a Danish and Irish wedding to completely suit our "Dream Wedding". We will update on a regular basis so keep coming back :-)

Monday, August 21, 2006

Speeches


Apparently I have a problem where I speak too long when I get the chance, therefore it is only right that people try and steal the show from me at the wedding. I fully expect a frenzied attempt to embarrass Helle and I and given my ability to forget my most of my previous indiscretions, it will seem like new material to me!

In Ireland the speeches are nicely structured in a way, a clear start and finish with normally the same 5 people talking - Groom, Bride, Father of the Bride, Best man and Father of the groom. This makes it easy to gamble on (Helle and I have part-financed the wedding by winnings from guessing the right lengths of speeches).

In Denmark it's not that way. Speeches can come at any time and indeed the more creative types even make songs and poems (I even saw actual sketches at a Swiss/Danish wedding). The only planning for this is through the Toastmaster who will be the lovely Lars (brother of the bride). He coordinates to make sure the speeches come in between courses and are spread carefully to maximise entertainment :)

HOWEVER, so we don't take away too much responsibility from the best man (Dr. Frankie, my beautiful brother), we will have a section that respects the Irish tradition where Frankie, I, Helle, Palle (Father of the bride) and Denis (father of me) will do our piece. This will avoid any demarcation disputes which of course would be unpleasant, we don't want the police to be called after all. Isn't that right Katia :)

Simon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home